Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Surprising Hotdog Bun

A few weeks ago we had our first wiener roast.  I used to absolutely love the simplicity of having a wiener roast.  Pick up hotdogs, buns, chips, maybe some watermelon and you're set!  Maybe even throw in a bag of store bought cookies. 

Thankfully I am still able to buy hotdogs (the more natural ones) - but once again I have to reinvent the wheel with the buns.  I was able to find some gluten free ones locally but at over a dollar a bun I had to leave them at the store.  I could have tried making something, but that particular weekend I was played out and had no interest in baking anything - let alone experimenting!   I ended up buying a loaf of gluten free bread that had some pretty questionable ingredients in it.  It worked, but it was expensive and it really didn't taste all that great. 

This past weekend we had another wiener roast and this time we were inviting some wheat eating folks over.  I warned them that if they wanted bread they would have to bring their own.  Near the time they were to come I was starting to feel a little bad that I didn't have more to serve them and this idea popped into my head.


This is not how I cut it for the hotdogs - this picture was taken the first time I made the bread.

What about cheese bread?  My dear friend had told me about this recipe and we had already made it a few times and loved it.  But would it work for hotdogs?  I figured that if it didn't work we would still have some tasty bread to eat on the side.  I make the recipe exactly as it says except for the pinch of cayenne pepper.

Cheesy Bread

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup packed grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup packed shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tb plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer.  Lay on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.  Make it as flat as possible without holes (it will expand some as it bakes. I find it always looks like more when I take it out of the oven).  Bake 20-22 minutes until lightly brown.

 I love how fast and easy this is.  For the hotdogs I cut the bread in to narrow rectangles.  This bread made enough for 6 hotdogs with a little left over.  It probably could have been stretched to 7 if I'd cut the bread a little smaller.

It was so good!!!!!!

Even my wheat eating guests enjoyed it and asked for the recipe :)

The one downside is that TR can't eat so much cheese, so he wasn't able to eat it.  I'll have to keep looking for a hotdog bun alternative that works for him.  It is also expensive if you're making this in large quantities - but even buying the expensive cheese that I do this is still cheaper (and much tastier!) than buying pre-made buns or bread.   

2 comments:

I'd love to hear from you!