Friday, March 15, 2013

Bread - Take II

For my second attempt at bread I decided to make two different kinds at once.  I copied a little bit from a recipe I found in a gluten free cookbook - but I've noticed lately that I just can't make it like they say!  So I kept the ratio's roughly the same (amount of liquid/amount of flour).  Here's what I came up with:

#1 - Bread on the left

1 cup water + yogurt (I poured some yogurt into a 1 cup measuring cup and filled the rest up with water
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 small spoon honey
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 eggs

1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp salt

Warm up all the liquid ingredients to about 110 F.  I warm up everything but the eggs 'cause I am afraid of forgetting about it and cooking them by mistake!
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Add the liquid to the dry and mix using either a hand mixer, food processor or something like it.  I like using  my processor but a stand mixer like a kitchen aid would be perfect.  Grease a pan (on the bottom only) and pour in.  Level off.  Leave in a warm place 30-45 minutes until it has about doubled.  Bake in a 400 F oven fro 25 minutes and then reduce temp. to about 350 F for another 35 or so.  The original recipe called to have it in the 400 F oven the whole time but covering it up with foil halfway through as the top does get dark otherwise.  I don't like to use toxic aluminum foil in a hot oven so I just reduce the temp and leave it in longer and it has worked great!  Remove from oven and allow to cool before taking out of pan.  Using a knife cut along the edges and it should come right out.



Bread #2 - the one on the right

I used the same liquids as above but used these dry ingredients

1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup teff flour
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup potato starch
 (same amount of yeast and xanthum gum and salt)

So what's the verdict?  The bread # 2 was better.  #1 was very moist and dense and I think I should have cooked it longer (I cooked it less than I suggested above - if you use the time I suggested you should hopefully be left with a fully cooked loaf).  It didn't toast very well and crumbled apart.  When I did manage to toast it, it burned easily without actually toasting.  Bread #2 held together really well.  It is easy to slice, toast and take to work as a sandwich.  TR has been taking it to work and likes it!  Hurray!  I find the texture to be a little gritty, I think it is due to the teff flour.  I'm planning on experimenting with replacing the teff with quinoa or chickpea or millet.  But I have teff in my stash 
and I'd like to use it :) 
After baking
The winner of the day - bread # 2 sliced 


p.s. I'm sure it's going to take a while before I have the "perfect" recipe :)  I made it again and lowered the amount of potato starch a bit.  I think it was a little less fluffy but still just as good.  I'd love to reduce the starch and xanthum gum by even a little more.

Overall I'm very happy with how easy it is to make.  It's a lot easier than the whole wheat bread I used to make.  I'm almost out of starch so once I get some more I think I will make several loaves at once and see how it freezes.  If it freezes well then I can make lots at once again. 

1 comment:

  1. wow that looks just like regular bread!!! I am waiting for my guar gum and then I hope to make bread too! I'll just let you do all the experimenting and then copy your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!