Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Grocery Trip of Surprises!

It's not often I finish a grocery shopping trip with a bounce in my step.  It is often very discouraging to see the limited amounts of foods that actually are foods that I want my family and I to eat.  And of the foods there is a list of reasons why I should just leave them there, but alas, since I am yet unable to supply all of our food locally this is the next best option.

But today was different!  I was surprised to see an organic choice for several foods that I don't normally see.
  • tomatoes
  • mushrooms
  • sweet potatoess
  • oranges
I don't normally buy tomatoes in the winter, to me it is like buying corn or strawberries.  What is the point when all you're paying for is looks?  'Cause the taste just doesn't compare to what I can get from my own garden.  But I have to admit that I have had a great craving for tomatoes in this pregnancy and have been bringing them home from time to time.  So finding an organic option makes it all the better!  My kids and I enjoy oranges, but even they notice when they are not organic.  A while back I bought some and they just sat there.  The kids didn't want them, I didn't want them.  The flavour was just blah.  But then my sister picked some organic ones up for me on her way back from the city and they just loved them!  They actually tasted good enough to eat!  The organic ones I picked up today were also very good!  What a great surprise!

On top of that I found a good deal on havarti cheese that does not have calcium chloride in it!  It's amazing what you can find if you're willing to look between the cracks in the floor and up on the ceiling tiles!

Besides the food I also enjoyed the fact that my children were all well behaved despite the fact that we were there right before lunch.  No one needed to use the restroom.  No tantrums or fighting.  Just easy shopping.

To top it all off, my bill was lower than I had estimated!  Not bad considering all the extra organic food that I threw in!

When I came home we had a wonderfully simple lunch - the kids just had a mix of oranges, cheese and cucumber, yogurt.  They loved it and thought it was a great lunch.  Me on the other hand, I had a really great lunch!

Grocery Day Salad

Lettuce, havarti cheese, feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, orange pieces, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, homemade mayonnaise, dill olive oil (that I infused myself :),  dash of salt, fried chicken.  (the green ones are organic :)

So good!




1 comment:

  1. I just love when trips go like that!!!!
    and your salad sounds so AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!