Thursday, January 17, 2013

Easy Chocolate Milk

I've heard it said that drinking chocolate milk is just as healthy as drinking regular milk and that if you can at least get your kids to drink chocolate then that is fine as long as they are drinking milk.  Now that I know so much about conventional milk and what all happens to I am quite certain that you would be healthier without the milk let alone the chocolate milk!  But that is perhaps another story for another time.  If you are at all interested in learning more about milk a really great book on it is The Untold Story of Milk by Ron Schmid.  I may tackle my opinion on consuming grocery store dairy at some point, but not today :)

Today I have a wonderful recipe that I thought I would share with you that I absolutely love and it is super simple.

Chocolate Syrup

Put some milk into a small pot and heat it gently on medium.  
Add cocoa powder (lots and lots - I really can't tell you the amount but you want it to be concentrated)
Add some honey

I never measure and I've never been disappointed.  I usually put in about 1/2-3/4 cup of milk.  4-6 large tbsp of cocoa, and about 1/4 cup of honey or so.  This also works great for making hot chocolate, except then I make it to taste and not concentrated and heat it until hot.

Only heat the milk long enough to melt the honey and whisk it together to be smooth.  Take it off the heat and put it in a jar in the fridge.

When you want a glass of chocolate milk just pour yourself a glass of milk with a liberal splash of cream and then some of the syrup.  So good!  And the best part is that I can feel good about what my children and I are drinking :)  

*I often link books to amazon, but I always get my books from our local library here.*

1 comment:

  1. yum! I have not tried this yet, but sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!