Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bolognsese Sauce

I have been craving something different.  Not sure what exactly, but it just has to be different!  I think it has less to do with being pregnant and more to do with winter.  Where I live winter goes on and on (generally at least 6 months of the year from about Oct-Mar).  And just when you think it is finally Spring . . .Winter returns for one last hurrah.  I have to say that time has been passing quickly this winter and in my mind I know that Spring will be here soon, but in my stomach . . . well, that is another story!  I feel the need for a change in my taste buds!  So I've been trying new recipes lately: here is a new recipe that I tried last night that I really enjoyed :)

I got the recipe from The Gluten Free Table by Jilly Lagasse and Jessie Lagasse Swanson - but I changed it a bit and I'll just tell you how I made it.  If you want the original recipe you could ask me or just order the book from your library :)

Farmers Sausage (I used some spicy moose sausage)
onion (chopped)
Ground Beef
Tomato sauce
Diced tomatoes with juice
Chicken broth
minced garlic
thyme
oregano
cinnamon stick (just a small piece if making a small pot)
peppers (chopped)
Cauliflower (chopped into very fine pieces)

Fry the meet and onions together, and chop into smaller pieces.  I used a very small bit of sausage and mostly ground beef, but you could vary it according to your tastes.
In a separate pot mix together the remaining ingredients and simmer.  Once the meat is done add that to the pot.  Simmer as long as you like or at least until the veggies are soft.  Enjoy on top of whatever you like!  We had it over rice noodles.

You'll notice I didn't give you any amounts and that is because I really didn't measure - so please forgive me if you need amounts!

I'm guessing that the original recipe would've tasted great too, but I didn't have some of it on hand (or I just didn't want to add it).  They also added some red wine, tomato paste, bay leaves, cream, sugar, nutmeg, carrot, celery and bacon, butter and parmesan cheese. 

It really hit the spot for me and it was something different than my usual spaghetti sauce :)  Hurray!  I think the real star of the show was the sausage and for that I thank my brother who made it and shared some with us! 

1 comment:

  1. yummy!!! I think I need to find that book! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!