Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shepherd's Pie with Lentils

Another new recipe. I really liked it. TR said it just needed some more salt :)

2 small potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, sliced
1 cauliflower seperated into small florets
olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 1/4 cups canned green lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. savory or dried thyme
1 tbsp. dried parsley
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups creamed or niblet corn
1 tsp butter cut in squares

Preheat oven to 350 F

Cook potatoes and carrots app. 20 min. Cook cauliflower in microwave 8-10 min.
Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic and onion until tender. Add beef and cook. When meat is cooked add lentils and seasoning. Remove from heat.
Drain potatoes, carrots and cauliflower. Puree and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer meat to ovensafe dish. Layer corn and then veg. puree.
Dot with butter and bake uncovered 30 min. until crust turns golden.

So of course I did a few things different. There's no point in turning your oven on so early. I cooked the potatoes and carrots together and then when they were almost done I added cauliflower to the pot (I used frozen). I added cream and butter to the mashed veg. I used peas instead of corn and I didn't dot with butter since I'd already added butter when I mashed them. (I did puree them a bit and the texture was good) It took a little longer in the oven then what they said, but I think that was because I prepared all the layers in advance and cooled them and then just put it together before supper.

1 comment:

  1. haha, as I was reading the recipe I was thinking to myself why don't they just add the cauliflower to the potato water half way through! I guess we think alike!
    sounds good, but think I'll stick to the corn :)
    and I think I'd like my carrots un-pureed and just added ontop the meat together with the corn, and just puree the potatoes and cauliflower together. sounds really good though.

    P.S. I have read that pureeing cauliflower and potatoes together as a mashed potato. healthier and you don't even notice the cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!