Monday, March 7, 2011

Birthday Cake

So the recipe really is called Birthday Cake, and that is what I used it for :)

Makes 1 11" spring form pan & 1 7" spring form pan.

12 oz bittersweet chocolate (about 340gr.)
1 cup butter
10 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour

1. Melt chocolate and butter
2. Beat eggs and sugar with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold flour into choc. with rubber spatula. Fold into egg mixture.
4. Fill 11" pan 3/4 full, pour remaining into 7" pan.
5. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.
6. Once ready, allow to cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan.

I cut this recipe in half and didn't layer it. It made a 9" square pan. It tasted a little like brownies and was REALLY good. I had to have two pieces :) The eggs took a really long time to get stiff and they really didn't get all that stiff. I used brown sugar and not white. I would like to try it with honey too, but figured for the birthday I didn't want to change too much. I cooked it 10 min. longer than they suggested because the center still seemed too soft. Next time I think I would maybe let it cook 30 min. but the extra 10 minutes was too long, and the edges were starting to dry out too much. But overall a great cake and definitely one I'll make again!

Icing I used:

1/2 cup-3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup honey
about 1/2 cup whipping cream

Blend together in food processor or electric mixer until smooth. Works best if honey is not runny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!